You’ve heard of spring cleaning, but what about spring maintenance?
Spring is the perfect time of year to do a quick check of your home and its most important systems. Check out the tips below for ways to keep your home running smoothly.
- Walk around your home’s structure and check the foundation, walls, floors, concrete, and masonry for any cracks or holes and check your basement, crawl spaces, attic, and ceilings for any moisture or leaks.
- Change the batteries in all your smoke alarms and review the locations of all gas and water shut-off valves with everyone in the house.
- Clean all gutters. Poor or improper drainage can cause water damage to your home.
- Inspect your roof. Your roof is your homes primary defense against the elements.
- Clean your garbage disposal by feeding it a full tray of ice cubes and running cold water.
- Check your washing machine’s water supply hoses for any leaks, tears, kinks, or cracks. And don’t forget to change the lint screen after every load. Also make sure the exhaust vent is clean.
- Swap out your oven’s exhaust vent filters.
- Clean the coils of your refrigerator, which are usually under or behind the unit, to help ensure quiet, worry-free operation.
- Change the water in your refrigerator’s water dispenser and icemaker, also change your icemaker’s filters. Consult the manual to see how to properly do so.
- Hire a professional to check your cooling system one month before you plan on using it. This will help you get ahead of any problems before the summer.
- Check your automatic lawn sprinkler system and test to see if it is working correctly.
As winter ends give the outside and inside of your home some TLC so you are ready to enjoy the warm weather months ahead!